HeARTS for the ARTS grants are supported by funds from the City of Abilene, the HeARTS for the ARTS organization, the Abilene Arts Alliance and the Abilene Cultural Affairs Council
1. All ACAC Grant funds must be used for cultural activities of an established non-profit organization, government or educational institution. Hearts for the Arts Grant funds specifically must be used for multi-cultural, community oriented and arts-in-education programs.
2. Grant funds must be used for projects which fall within the official 12-month grant cycle, beginning on October 1, following the June 1st grant application deadline, and ending September 30 of the following year.
3. Organizations requesting grants larger than $3,000 must emphasize in their applications how they plan to serve and impact a large segment of the community.
4. All grant proposals must be received by the Council no later than 5:00 p.m. on June 1st. If June 1st falls on the weekend, proposals are due the first working day of June. LATE OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Please refer to the grant checklist to ensure that the grant packet is complete.
5. Applicants shall match the ACAC funding request with their own money, according to the following schedule::
$10,000 or less
$10,000 - $50,000
$50,000 or greater
Grant Award Match
50% match in cash or in-kind services of total grant request
50% or greater cash match of total grant request
100% or greater cash match of total grant request
6. Most grants for major institutions will not exceed $7,500. A major institution is defined as having:
An annual budget in excess of $50,000
An annual season of exhibits and/or performances
7. Applicants must use the grant application form provided by the Council. Twelve copies of the application form, plus all requested supplemental activity, must be turned in by the June 1st deadline or the application will not be accepted. All forms can be found online at www.abilenecac.org/grants.
8. ACAC provides a Grants Checklist online at www.abilenecac.org/grants, which has details about the items that should be included in your application packet. A copy of the Grants Checklist, fill out to show that each item on the list has been included in the packet, must be included with each grant application.
9. Items to be included in Grant Application include the following:
Please submit 12 copies of each of the following:
Cover letter, no longer than two pages, including organization history and mission, and addressing pertinent points from criteria
Completed application form
Detailed project budget, which should tell the review committees exactly how you would spend grant monies and the amount of funds your organization is contributing to the project, including in-kind contributions.
Current operating budget for your agency or organization
Also include one (1) copy each of the following:
Financial statement for the previous year (audit if available) or copy of 990 if required to file.
Current list of Board of Directors and staff with addresses and phone numbers.
Current list of contributors, grants received and grant requests pending
By-laws, charter and organizational history or any applicable update since last application
IRS exemption letter
10. No DataArts CDP report will be required for the 2018-19 grant cycle or beyond. However, grant applicants who filled out info for DataArts during the past four years will continue to have access to their accounts and profiles. Through their accounts they have free access to analytic reports and can log in and run their annual report and trend and comparison reports at any time. DataArts offers free monthly webinars for organizations on how to utilize these reports. Visit the DataArts website to learn more.
11. Applicants receiving funds from one of the Council’s grant programs may not use the funds to provide the match for another Council grant program.
12. Applicant should be able to demonstrate that effort has been made to secure funding and grant money from other sources, in addition to the Abilene Cultural Affairs Council.
13. Emergency grants of $1,000 or less will be considered as requested only if funds are available.
What the Council does not normally fund in the HeARTS for the ARTS Program:
Deficit budgets or retroactive funding of current projects
Activities restricted to the organization’s membership
Cost of parties, receptions and other social activities
College or university projects which are part of an academic degree or curriculum and are not open to the public
Programs that are primarily recreational, rehabilitative or therapeutic
Activities which do not benefit the citizens of Abilene and the surrounding area
Activities of individuals applying without the aegis of a non-profit organization
Major capital improvements, construction, renovation, or structural maintenance of facilities
Operating expenses of privately owned facilities, i.e. homes or studios
Church related activities unless they involve the community as a whole
Projects that promote cultural tourism.
Applications are encouraged in the following areas:
Multi-Cultural –Projects that enhance cultural diversity
Arts in Education –Projects that deliver arts through school curriculum, enhance student achievement, provide teacher training, or provide hands-on activities
Community Oriented- Programs for community based programs that serve special populations
A letter regarding grant status and amount awarded and a contract will be sent to the applicant in early October. The applicant must return one copy of the letter and the contract, signed by the appropriate person. Grant monies will not be disbursed until the Abilene Cultural Affairs Council has received the signed letter and contract.
After a grant has been awarded, recipients are asked to:
Return one copy of the signed letter and grant contract within 30 days of receipt. Failure to return letter and/or contract within 30 days could result in revocation of your organization’s funding.
Publicly promote the grant in your news releases and newsletters.
Include the following acknowledgement on all promotional materials: “This project is supported by a grant from the Abilene Cultural Affairs Council, HeARTS for the ARTS, the Abilene Arts Alliance, and the City of Abilene.”
Provide the Council with complimentary tickets to the performance or event.
Meet all budget requirements of the grant application.
Submit an evaluation report within 30 days after completion of the project
The following acknowledgement should be included in all promotional materials. In a few instances, the acknowledgement line may need to be slightly different. Please refer to the “Acknowledgement” section of your contract and letter to confirm the correct wording for your organization’s grant.
This project is supported by a grant from the Abilene Cultural Affairs Council, HeARTS for the ARTS, the Abilene Arts Alliance, and the City of Abilene.
Grant recipients must provide an evaluation report within 30 days of the completion of their project. In addition to the evaluation form, recipients should include the following:
Five digital photographs
Copies of flyers, posters, or other promotional materials created for the event or program.
Evaluation forms can be found online at www.abilenecac.org/grants. Failure to submit an evaluation report will prohibit future disbursal of grant monies to the organization.
Questions? Call Hollye Jaklewicz at 325-677-1161 (work) or 325-370-6291 (cell) or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance